Certificate of Occupancy
A Certificate of Occupancy is required when there is a change in the use and occupancy of a space in accordance with the International Building Code. Certificates of Occupancy are also required for new construction and additions.
To obtain a Certificate of Occupancy, gather the materials listed below and submit a completed permit application in-person at the Municipal Services Building (MSB) Concourse.
See Building Permits for complete building permit information, including processing time and fees.
Building Permit Application
- Prerequisite Approvals
Before obtaining a building permit, your project may need to receive approvals from various city departments if it meets the listed condition.
- Zoning/Use Registration Permit for any change in use of the property.
Use Registration Permit Application
Contact Licenses and Inspections Zoning Unit (Concourse - 1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., 215.686.2567)
- Changes in use of existing buildings where the area being changed is 5,000 sq. ft. or more in Use and Occupancy designations: R-2, R-3, A, B, M and E Use Groups. (As per PA Act 537 and Clean Streams Act.)
Contact the Philadelphia Water Department (2nd Floor – 1100 Market St., 215.685.1419)
- Three sets of building plans
- Plans must be of professional quality and drawn to scale (e.g. 1/4" = 1'- 0").
- The minimum sheet size is 18” x 24”.
- The following information must be included on the plan:
- Applicable codes
- Construction type, use and occupancy classification
- Identification of fire-resistance rated construction
Department of Licenses and Inspections
1401 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Phone: 311 or (215) 686-8686
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am- 3:30pm (except for the last Wednesday of each month when the hours are 8:00am- 12:00 Noon)