Certificate of Occupancy
A Certificate of Occupancy is required when there is a change in the use and occupancy of a space in accordance with the International Building Code. Certificates of Occupancy are also required for new construction and additions.
To obtain a Certificate of Occupancy, gather the materials listed below and submit a completed permit application in-person at the Municipal Services Building (MSB) Concourse.
See Building Permits for complete building permit information, including processing time and fees.
Building Permit Application
- Prerequisite Approvals Before obtaining a building permit, your project may need to receive approvals from various city departments if it meets the listed condition.
- Zoning/Use Registration Permit for any change in use of the property.
Use Registration Permit Application
Contact Licenses and Inspections Zoning Unit (Concourse - 1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., 215.686.2567)
- Changes in use of existing buildings where the area being changed is 5,000 sq. ft. or more in Use and Occupancy designations: R-2, R-3, A, B, M and E Use Groups. (As per PA Act 537 and Clean Streams Act.)
Contact the Philadelphia Water Department (2nd Floor – 1100 Market St., 215.685.1419)
- Three sets of building plans
- Plans must be of professional quality and drawn to scale (e.g. 1/4" = 1'- 0").
- The minimum sheet size is 18” x 24”.
- The following information must be included on the plan:
- Applicable codes
- Construction type, use and occupancy classification
- Identification of fire-resistance rated construction
RETURNED CHECKS: Licenses and Inspections uses eCollect, LLC to collect returned checks. If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds, (1) you authorize eCollect, LLC to make a one-time electronic funds transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20; and (2) eCollect, LLC may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment. For inquiries about charges to your account please call (888) 569-9001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Licenses and Inspections
Municipal Services Building (MSB)
1401 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am- 3:30pm (except for the last Wednesday of each month when the hours are 8:00am- 12:00 Noon)
Phone: 311 or 215-686-8686 (outside of the City of Philadelphia)