This license is required to place or maintain a stand or other sales device on the sidewalk for the display and sale of newspaper, magazines, periodicals, paper bound books, tobacco products, wrapped candy and State Lottery tickets. Not applicable for unattended self-service "honor boxes" occupying not more than three feet of sidewalk space.
- Food Establishment, Retail Non-Permanent Location (if food will be sold)
- Health Department Approval (if food will be sold)
- Commercial Activity License
- City of Philadelphia Tax Account Number
- Federal Tax Identification Number
Application will be forwarded to Streets Department for approvals prior to processing. Complete the application in triplicate. Please do not pay fee until notified that your application has been approved.
- A separate application must be filed for each newsstand.
- License is not transferrable. If new owner of an existing location, please forward notarized Bill of Sale.
- Complete sketch on page 2 of application showing dimensions of newsstand, its location in relation to the curb line and the building line, and its position in the block.
- Newsstand shall not exceed 4 feet wide x 8 feet in length and 8 feet in height; must be located not less than eighteen inches inside the curb line; must be clear of the full width of the sidewalk on the intersecting street and in no case extend past the point of curve of the radius corner.
- Streets Department approval required prior to issuance of initial license. Thereafter, the license will be renewed annually without submission of an application.
- Site inspection is required prior to issuing license. After approval is received from Streets Department, the site will be inspected for compliance with regulations.
- Each applicant shall post a bond in the amount of $1,500.00 and in a form satisfactory to the City Solicitor, to indemnify the City for the cost of removal or relocation of the newsstand and all incidental costs.
RETURNED CHECKS: Licenses and Inspections uses eCollect, LLC to collect returned checks. If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds, (1) you authorize eCollect, LLC to make a one-time electronic funds transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20; and (2) eCollect, LLC may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment. For inquiries about charges to your account please call (888) 569-9001 or email email@example.com
Department of Licenses and Inspections - License Issuance Unit - PSC
1401 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00am- 3:30pm (except for the last Wednesday of each month when the hours are 8:00am- 12:00 Noon)
Phone: 311 or 215-686-8686 (outside of the City of Philadelphia)