Welcome to the new Business Services website!

Limited Lodging Regulations

I plan on renting my home, or a room within my home, for no more than 30 days at a time. What does the City of Philadelphia require in order to rent my home to visitors?

The City of Philadelphia allows residents to rent out their home, or rent a room within their home, for short term rentals. These short term rentals are referred to as Limited Lodging. The requirements of Limited Lodging are outlined below.

What is Limited Lodging?

Limited lodging is the short term rental of your home, or a room within your home. These short term rentals may not exceed 30 consecutive days for any visitor. Your home or a room can be rented for up to 180 days throughout a calendar year, but you will need to meet certain requirements and limitations to utilize your home for Limited Lodging.

What are the requirements and limitations?

A home may be used for short term rentals if the following are met:

  1. Smoke alarms shall be installed throughout the home in the following locations:
  2. In each bedroom.
  3. In the hall area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.
  4. On each floor of the home, including basements.
  5. Carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed in the home in the following manner:
    1. Carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed within 15’ of the entrance to every bedroom or within 15’ of a bed in sleeping areas where there is no enclosed bedroom.
    2. Alarms shall be centrally located on a wall or the ceiling, but not directly in front of a door to a bathroom or within 5’ of a cooking appliance.
    3. If the alarm is a combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarm, it shall be located in accordance with the installation requirements for smoke alarms.
  6. Signs for lodging are prohibited on your home.
  7. The home may not be occupied by more than three (3) persons (including the owner and renters) who are unrelated by blood, marriage, adoption, or foster-child status, or are not Life Partners.
  8. Short term rentals may not result in physical changes to your home so that it no longer looks like a home, such as constructing a separate building entrance for the sole use of the renters.

What information do I need to provide the renters of my home?

The following information must be supplied to the renters:

  1. Renters are allowed to have guests only between the hours of 8:00am and 12:00am.
  2. Renters shall be notified of the trash and recycle collection days for your home and any applicable rules and regulations pertaining to leaving or storing trash on the exterior of your home. Proper containers shall be provided for the renters.
  3. Renters shall be notified that excessive noise is prohibited and such violators shall be subject to fines and penalties.
  4. The owner or their designee shall provide contact information to the renters in case of complaints regarding the condition, operation, or conduct of the occupants of the home. The contact person must have the responsibility to take action to resolve such complaints.

What information must the owner maintain?

The primary resident conducting short term rentals of their home shall maintain records for a minimum of 1 year demonstrating the home remained their primary residence, the dates the home was rented, and the number of renters.

Do I need a permit for Limited Lodging?

Short Term Limited Lodging (rental of 90 days or less per calendar year) does not require a permit.

If you rent for more than 90 days (but 180 days or less) per calendar year you must obtain a use registration permit as a “Limited Lodging Home”. This permit application may be filed with the City’s Department of Licenses and Inspections, located on the concourse level of the Municipal Services Building, 1401 John F Kennedy Blvd., Philadelphia, PA 19102. Please complete the use registration permit application and bring a check or money order in the amount of $125, payable to the City of Philadelphia.

If you wish to rent your home for stays of 30 days or less but for more than 180 days per calendar year, or the property is not your primary residence, you must obtain a use registration permit for a “Visitor Accommodations” use.

Do I need a license for Limited Lodging?

A rental license shall not be required for limited lodging activity.

A Commercial Activity license shall be required. The application may be made through our website, www.phila.gov/li or at Licenses and Inspections located on the concourse level of the Municipal Services Building, 1401 John F Kennedy Blvd., Philadelphia, PA 19102.

Do I need to pay the City of Philadelphia Hotel Tax for Limited Lodging?

Yes. The City of Philadelphia Hotel Tax of 8.5% on the amount received by the host/operator must be paid monthly. Please visit City of Philadelphia’s Department of Revenue’s www.phila.gov/Revenue/businesses/taxes for more information about the Hotel tax.


Please see City of Philadelphia BILL NO. 150441-A for more detailed information on Limited Lodging