Required of those who offer merchandise for sale from a wagon, handcart, pushcart or stand. A license is required for any period from one day to one year.
- Federal Tax Identification Number or Social Security Number
- City of Philadelphia Tax Account Number
- Commercial Activity License
- Vending License (The paper form is provided for new license applicants. License holders are encouraged to renew this license online.)
Additional Approvals, if food will be sold
- Health Department Approval
- Food Establishment, Retail Non-Permanent Location
- Weighing and Measuring License (if applicable)
The following is required along with application:
- A physical description of the applicant, proof of identity and address, together with two (2) photographs, not less than two (2) inches square, nor more than three (3) inches square.
- A brief description of what is to be sold and whether produced, grown, made, manufactured or assembled by the applicant.
- If employed by another the name and address of person, firm organization, etc.
- If motor vehicle is to be used, a description (year & make) of it together with motor vehicle registration number and license number. If leased, a copy of leasing agreement.
- Health approval of your conveyance Issued by one of the Health Districts required where applicant/vendor or his employee or attendant proposes to sell any food or drink. Frozen dessert machine requires two (2) certificates, one for freezer machine and one for conveyance.
Cost: $330 per license – one for each location.
The paper form is provided for new license applicants. License holders are encouraged to renew this license online.
For vending at a special event (ex: festival, block party, fair), refer to the A Guide to Special Events with Food Vendors
Prohibited Streets List (for Vending Applicants)
The Prohibited Streets List contains the list of street locations designated by City Council through Section 9-205 of the Philadelphia Code, which prohibits vendors to exhibit, display, offer for sale or sell any goods, wares, or merchandise or place or allow any stand to remain on the sidewalks of these streets.
The following are Special Vending Districts: Center City, University City, Central Germantown Business District, 52nd St. Business District and the Germantown Corridor Business District. Within these Special Vending Districts, permission to vend requires the approval from the Department of Licenses and Inspections’s Vending Unit. The Prohibited Streets List provides the boundaries of these districts.
At this time, interpretation of the the Prohibited Streets List may require assistance. As such, applicants are encouraged to contact the Vending Unit at (215) 686-2414 for more information.
License Application and Renewal Online
This license can be renewed online, with a valid email address. Renewals can also be made in the Municipal Services Building – Concourse Level (1401 John F. Kennedy Boulevard). In-person renewals will also require an email address.