Welcome to the new Business Services website!


Demolition, tearing-down of buildings and other structures and existing elements is included with a construction permit, however the applicant may elect to obtain a separate demolition permit.


Download PDF
Obtain a Business Income and Receipts Tax ID

Every individual, partnership, association and corporation doing business in Philadelphia must file a Business Income and Receipts Tax Return in whether or not they earned a profit during the preceding year. Rental activities are usually considered business activities.

Obtain an Commercial Activity License

An Activity License is required for all businesses and non-profits operating in Philadelphia. This includes businesses that are located outside the city limits but do some or all of their business activity in the City.

Contractor License

A Contractor's License is required of any professional contractor who performs work in which the contractor receives payment of $500 or more. Applicants must annually reapply for this license and submit proof of a surety bond.

Contractor and Permit Requirements

The following information must be submitted with all permit applications. Permit applications will not be accepted without these documents.

Remediation of a Dangerous Condition Requires a Building Permit

A Building Permit is required to perform reconstruction work on a building that has experienced deterioration of a portion of its major structural elements, such as floor joists, exterior walls, or roofing elements.

Special Inspections Program

For Engineering Services, Construction Services, Emergency Services, this procedure establishes the minimum requirements necessary to safeguard the public health, safety and general welfare through structural strength, stability, and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards.

Project Information Sign Requirements for Construction, Demolition, Addition or Alteration projects

Project information signs are required for all construction, demolition, addition, or alteration projects. Please see the Major Building Requirements and all Other Building Requirements for more details.

Documents You May Need

Download PDF

Building Permits

Building permits are required before beginning projects to enlarge, repair, change, add to or demolish a structure, and to install equipment or systems in a structure.

Does the Art Commission Affect You?

Philadelphia’s Art Commission is a charter-mandated design review board for architecture and public art.

Does the Historical Commission Affect You?

The Philadelphia Historical Commission (PHC) is the regulatory agency responsible for ensuring the preservation of historically significant buildings, structures, sites, objects, interiors and districts in the City of Philadelphia.

Dumpster License - Construction

This license is require for any dumpster utilized for storing all construction related debris. The company that owns the dumpster must apply for this license.  There is a separate placement license necessary for the entity leasing the dumpster.  The lessee permit is available from the Streets Department and will be issued for a defined time period.

Electrical Permit

Only a licensed Electrical Contractor can apply for an electrical permit from the City.

Hazardous Materials License

This license is required for the storage, dispensing, use, or handling of hazardous material.