Welcome to the new Business Services website!

Non-Accessory Signs/Billboards


Download PDF
Obtain a Business Income and Receipts Tax ID

Every individual, partnership, association and corporation doing business in Philadelphia must file a Business Income and Receipts Tax Return in whether or not they earned a profit during the preceding year. Rental activities are usually considered business activities.

Obtain a Commercial Activity License

An Activity License is required for all businesses and non-profits operating in Philadelphia. This includes businesses that are located outside the city limits but do some or all of their business activity in the City.

Outdoor Advertising Business License

This license is required for installers and owners of large outdoor signs, such as billboards.

Outdoor Advertising Sign License

This license is required for having large outdoor signs, such as billboards. The license does not apply to accessory business signs.

Zoning and Use

The Philadelphia Zoning Code regulates development within the city. Zoning regulations govern land use, the height and size of buildings, population density, parking requirements, signage placement and the character of development on private property, and property uses.

Documents You May Need

Download PDF

Does the Historical Commission Affect You?

The Philadelphia Historical Commission (PHC) is the regulatory agency responsible for ensuring the preservation of historically significant buildings, structures, sites, objects, interiors and districts in the City of Philadelphia.

Does the Art Commission Affect You?

Philadelphia’s Art Commission is a charter-mandated design review board for architecture and public art.