Welcome to the new Business Services website!

Carnival License

Required of anyone holding or conducting any moving, temporary show where a charge is made for admission or participation, whether held in a building, tent, enclosure or lot, and where following forms of amusement or entertainment are conducted: riding devices, illusion shows, mechanical shows, active games of skill or games of a like character.


Carnival Company furnishing rides must have on file annually

  1. Proof of Certificate of Insurance — Public Liability $100,000; per accident $300,000 and Property Damage $5,000. The contract of insurance must name the City of Philadelphia as certificate holder.
  2. Philadelphia Business Income and Receipts Tax ID
  3. Commercial Activity License
  4. Annual Amusement License
  5. Food License (Non Permanent Location) if food will be sold
  6. Tent permit may be required. For information contact the Fire Unit at 686-2534.

Sponsor of Carnival

  1. Submit six (6) copies of the application for Carnival License at least six (6) weeks in advance of the event. Please do not mail license fee until you receive notice that your application has been approved.
  2. Temporary Amusement Permit.
  3. Temporary electrical wiring permit (Electric Unit 686-2454).
  4. Police approval (License Issuance will forward application).
  5. Letter of permission from the owner of the property where carnival is to be held.
  6. Furnish information with respect to the proposed date and place of the carnival; the organization, society, or club, if any, for whose benefit the carnival is to be given; and the nature of he structures and devices to be used and the entertainment to be given or permitted. Answer all questions fully.
  7. Pay license fee of $200.00 got each week or part thereof during which carnival is conducted; free license may be issued to organizations approved by the Department of Revenue (686-6595).

Apply Online

Applicants can apply for this license online with a valid email address.

Payment Information

RETURNED CHECKS: If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds, (1) you authorize The City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20; and (2) The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.