Welcome to the new Business Services website!

Fire Suppression Permit

Requirements for a Fire Suppression Permit

To obtain a Fire Suppression Permit, gather the materials listed below, and submit a completed permit application in-person at the Municipal Services Building (MSB) Concourse.

See Building Permits for complete building permit information, including processing time and fees.

Building Permit Application

The following information must be submitted with all permit applications. Permit applications will not be accepted without these documents.

  • Tax Clearance Form from the Revenue Department for the Contractor – These forms may be obtained on line at www.phila.gov/Revenue. Please select “Tax Clearance” on the left side of the web page and select “Permits/Licenses” from the drop-down box and enter your name and SSN or EIN. Once printed, the form is valid for thirty (30) days.
  • A current, valid Certificate of Insurance for the Contractor – The Certificate of Insurance must indicate current coverage for comprehensive general liability, workers compensation and automobile liability. The comprehensive general liability (including products and completed operations) must evidence a minimum limit of liability of $500,000 per occurrence. The Certificate of Insurance must describe the type of operations/work the contractor has coverage for, which must be consistent with the Contractor’s permit application. The certificate must also include a contact name and phone number of the contractor’s insurance broker or agent. The City of Philadelphia must be named Certificate Holder and Additional Insured under the contractor’s comprehensive general liability insurance policy.

Note: It is not acceptable for the additional insured requirement to be conditional upon there being a written contract.

  • Prerequisite Approvals: Before obtaining a building permit, your project may also need approvals from various city departments if your project meets the listed condition.
    • Plans must be stamped with flow and pressure availability.Philadelphia Water Department (2nd Floor, 1100 Market St., 215.685.1419
    • All work performed in a hospital, nursing care, end-stage renal disease, intermediate care, ambulatory surgery, or pediatric extended care facility regulated by the PA Department of Health, Division of Safety Inspection.Contact the Division of Safety Inspection, PA Department of Health at 717.787.1911.
    • All work performed on properties listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places. For listings see The City of Philadelphia Register of Historic Places. Contact the Historical Commission (1515 Arch Street, 13th Floor, 215.686.7660)
    • All work performed on City owned properties or with City funds. Contact the Art Commission (13th Floor – 1515 Arch St., 215.683.2049)
  • Four Sets of Building Plans
    • Plans Must be signed and sealed by a professional engineer licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    • Plans must be of professional quality and drawn to scale (.e.g. 1/4″ = 1′ – 0″).
    • The minimum sheet size is 18″ x 24″
  • Four Sets of Hydrolic Calculations
    • Calculations must be signed and sealed by professional engineer licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    • If there is no new backflow prevention assembly included on the application, only three sets of calculations are required.

Payment Information

RETURNED CHECKS: If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds, (1) you authorize The City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20; and (2) The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.