The InStore Program is a forgivable loan program that helps eligible retail, food, and creative for-profit and non-profit businesses purchase equipment and materials associated with establishing a new location or expanding at an existing one.
You may be eligible if you own a property occupied by a retail, food, or creative business and are planning to open a new location, make improvements to an existing location in order to expand services or business activities, and/or upgrade equipment.
Your project must be located on an eligible commercial corridor. (Eligible corridors are listed in the InStore Guidelines.)
Eligible improvements include: security systems, telephone systems, alarm systems, point of sale equipment, kitchen equipment, computer ordering systems, millwork, flooring, lighting, sound systems, theater seating, display furnishings and shelving, HVAC equipment, coolers, refrigeration units, specialty piping, and more.
Projects will be evaluated based on a variety of criteria, including the following priorities:
- Enhancement of an existing cluster of retail, food, or creative businesses
- Generation of increased foot traffic to a commercial corridor by attracting/enhancing a business that will serve as a destination for new visitors
- Improvement of the retail mix found within a commercial corridor by starting a new business that meets an identified, unmet need for specific goods or services
- Financial feasibility and equity investment from the applicant which matches or exceeds the loan amount
- Demonstration of community support
- Impact on job retention and/or creation
The forgivable loan amount is $15,000 – $50,000 for a project. The forgivable loan does not require payments and is forgiven if the recipient meets program guidelines for five (5) years.