This license is required for sidewalk or street vendors within specific neighborhood business districts. Contact the License and Inspections Vending Unit for district boundaries; districts include:
- Central Germantown Business District
- University City Business District
- North Front Street
- 52nd Street Business District for Sidewalk Vending
- Germantown Corridor Business District
- Oregon Avenue Business Corridor District
- Temple University
The application listed below includes both the Neighborhood Vending District License amd the Special Vending District License.
- The Neighborhood Vending District License (Revenue Code 3288) is the license for sidewalk carts in the Special Vending Districts
- The Special Vending District License (Revenue Code 3289) is for motor vehicle vendors in the Special Vending Districts.
Currently, University City is the only Special Vending District which permits food trucks, therefore, they are they only vendors that need the Special Vending District License.
- Federal Tax Identification Number or Social Security Number
- City of Philadelphia Tax Account Number
- Commercial Activity License
- Vending License (The paper form is provided for new license applicants. License holders are encouraged to renew this license online.)
Additional Approvals, if food will be sold
- Health Department Approval
- Food Establishment, Retail Non-Permanent Location
- Weighing and Measuring License (if applicable)
Additional Information: A license is required for any period from one (1) day to one (1) year. The following must be sent along with application:
- A physical description of applicant, proof of identity and address, together with two recent photographs of applicant, not less than two (2) inches square, nor more than three (3) inches square.
- Brief description of what is to be sold.
- Description of stand, etc.
- Health certificate issued by the Health Department if sales include food or drink.
Cost: $50 application fee, $330 (minus application fee) for license
Special District Vending Application The paper form is provided for new license applicants. License holders are encouraged to renew this license online.
Prohibited Streets List (for Vending Applicants)
The Prohibited Streets List contains the list of street locations designated by City Council through Section 9-205 of the Philadelphia Code, which prohibits vendors to exhibit, display, offer for sale or sell any goods, wares, or merchandise or place or allow any stand to remain on the sidewalks of these streets.
The following are Special Vending Districts: Center City, University City, Central Germantown Business District, 52nd St. Business District and the Germantown Corridor Business District. Within these Special Vending Districts, permission to vend requires the approval from the Department of Licenses and Inspections’s Vending Unit. The Prohibited Streets List provides the boundaries of these districts.
At this time, interpretation of the the Prohibited Streets List may require assistance. As such, applicants are encouraged to contact the Vending Unit at (215) 686-2414 for more information.
License Renewal Online
This license can be renewed online, with a valid email address. Renewals can also be made in the Municipal Services Building – Concourse Level (1401 John F. Kennedy Boulevard). In-person renewals will also require an email address.