Certain parking garages and lots must get air permits from the Philadelphia Department of Public Health, Air Management Services Division (AMS) and meet certain air requirements. Any enclosed or below ground parking garage must have a mechanical ventilation system to prevent build up of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. A pre-construction permit must be approved by AMS prior to installing a mechanical ventilation system to make sure it meets AMS requirements. For application forms or more information, please see the following or call (215) 685-7572:
Large parking garages and lots of the following sizes also need a Complex Source Permit from AMS prior to installation or modification (increase capacity):
- Capacity of 250 vehicles or more in the area, bounded by:
- East: Delaware River, including all areas east of Columbus Boulevard or Delaware Avenue that extend to the pierhead line.
- West: from Girard Avenue Bridge on the Schuylkill River southward along the east edge of the Schuylkill River to the Spring Garden Street Bridge, then Spring Garden Street west to 40th Street, 40th Street south to Baltimore Avenue, Baltimore Avenue east to 38th Street, south to University Avenue, to University/34th Street Bridge.
- North: from extended line at Cumberland Street east into Delaware River, to Richmond Street, to East Girard Avenue, West Girard Avenue, South College Avenue, Poplar Street, West College Avenue, back to West Girard Avenue, to east edge of the Schuylkill River at the Girard Avenue Bridge.
- South: from extended line at Washington Avenue east into Delaware River, west along Washington Avenue, to Grays Ferry Ave, to Peltz Street (a short street just south of the Schuylkill Station generating plant), then a line extended along Peltz Street across to the west side of the Schuylkill River,then along the west side of the Schuylkill River to the University/34th Street Bridge.
- Capacity of 500 vehicles or greater in other areas.
A Complex Source Review Approval application must be submitted to AMS along with an electronic copy of a traffic study (synchro analysis) showing the impact on nearby traffic lights, entrances, and exits due to the project. If the traffic study shows an average delay of 55 seconds or more for any approach, an Air Quality Impact Statement must also be submitted. For application forms or more information, please see the following or call (215) 685-7572:
- Complex Source Review (Large Parking Facility) Regulation
- AMR X Complex Source Review Guidelines and Application
Additional licenses are required for parking garages and lots, see the link below for license information from the Department of Licences and Inspections: