A Master Plumber license is required of a company to perform plumbing work, including drainage, water piping, or the construction, alteration and repairing of any drainage, cesspools, trap, waste vent or water piping, and fixtures attached thereto, except gas or electric heaters.
This license must be renewed annually.
How to Apply
Apply online now via eCLIPSE or visit the Public Services Concourse of the Municipal Services Building
- Business Income and Receipts Tax ID
- Commercial Activity License
- Proof of employment must be provided if an employee of the company.
- General Liability
- $500,000 per occurrence
- Automobile Liability Insurance
- Workman’s Comp
- $100,000 each accident
- $100,000 each employee
- $500,000 policy limit
- General Liability
- Proof of Exam
- Successful completion of the Philadelphia Master Plumber Examination, administered by the International Code Council, within twelve (12) months prior to application date.
- Must be registered as an Apprentice Plumber for a minimum of four (4) years and a Journeyman Plumber for a period of one (1) year.
Note: The Department may issue a license by reciprocity to an individual who was employed outside of the City of Philadelphia and holds a similar authorization granted by any other state or local jurisdiction which establishes qualification requirements equal to, or greater than, those established under the Philadelphia Code. Tax records are required to demonstrate proof of work history.
- Photo ID
- 2”x2” photo ID (passport quality)
- Must be current on the payment of all City of Philadelphia taxes.
- Proof of active insurance policy must be on-file with the Department.
Note: A Master Plumber may, upon application to the Department, be placed on an inactive master plumber list, provided he or she surrenders his or her current Master Plumber license, ceases to maintain a place of business for plumbing, removes all advertising directly or indirectly pertaining thereto, and applies for and receives a current annual license for journeyman plumber.
A Master Plumber on the inactive list who wishes to regain active status as a licensed Master Plumber may do so by submitting a valid Commercial Activity license, current insurance, and the required license fee.
- Initial Application
- There is a non-refundable application filing fee of $150.00, which is not included in the license fee. The total license fee of $200.00 is due upon application approval.
- License Renewal Application
- The renewal fee is $200.00