This license is required of any person engaged in the business of purchasing or making appraisals of precious metals and their alloys for resale to refiners, brokers, or the public. This license is issued to an individual and not to a business or location.
- City of Philadelphia Business Income and Receipts Tax ID
- City of Philadelphia Commercial Activity License
- Zoning Approval (Use Registration Permit) for the location of the business
- License holders are required to register with an online inventory tracking system as determined by the Philadelphia Police Department. The registration process with a link to the provider is available at www.phillypolice.com.
- All scales or other devices used by dealers to weigh precious metals must be of a type approved for commercial use in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and must be inspected and sealed by the Pennsylvania Bureau of Ride and Measurement Standards’ Weights and Measures Division.
- The dealer in precious metals must notify the Pennsylvania Bureau of Ride and Measurement Standards’ Weights and Measures Division whenever a weighing device is moved from one location to another.
- All weighing devices shall be positioned so that their indications may be accurately read and the weighing operation observed by the seller.
- The dealer shall post a conspicuous sign in proximity to the place where weighing is made quoting the prices offered for the various units and fineness of precious metals.
Precious Metal Dealer License Application – Cost: $500
Code Library: To read the legal statute, see Chapter 9-615 of the Philadelphia Code.
License Application and Renewal Online
This license can be renewed online, with a valid email address. Renewals can also be made in the Municipal Services Building – Concourse Level (1401 John F. Kennedy Boulevard). In-person renewals will also require an email address.
The Precious Metals paper application is provided for new license applicants. License holders are encouraged to renew this license online.
For Zoning questions please contact the Zoning Unit, at 215-686-2435