Welcome to the new Business Services website!

Tank Permits

Prerequisites for a Tank Permit

To obtain a construction permit for the installation, removal or insertion of a tank to gather or hold the materials listed below and submit a completed permit application in-person at the Municipal Services Building (MSB) Concourse.

  • Prerequisite Approvals: Before obtaining a building permit, your project may need to receive approvals from various city departments if your project meets the listed conditions.
    • Zoning/Use Registration Permit is required for tank installation in the following locations:
      • Outside of the building and above grade, or
      • Within the flood plain

      Use Registration Permit Application

      Contact Licenses and Inspections Zoning Unit (Concourse – 1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., 215.686.2567)

    • All work performed on properties listed on the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places. For listings see The City of Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.Contact the Historical Commission (1515 Arch Street, 13th Floor, 215.686.7660)
    • All work performed on City owned properties or with City funds.Contact the Art Commission (13th Floor – 1515 Arch St., 215.683.2049)
  • Contractor Requirements All work must be performed by a licensed Philadelphia Contractor, who can provide:
    • Certificate of Liability Insurance
    • D.E.P. Company Certification Certificate
    • Description of number, size, and quantity, of new tanks and identification of material to be stored on building permit application.
    • Three sets of site plans identifying location of the tank.
  • Three sets of site plans are required if a new tank is located within a building.
    • Plans must be signed/sealed by a PA registered design professional when cost of work exceeds $25,000. Structural plans must be signed/sealed by a professional engineer licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    • Plans must be of professional quality and drawn to scale (e.g. 1/4″ = 1′ – 0″).
    • The minimum sheet size is 18” x 24”.
    • The following information must be included on the plan:
      • Fire-resistance rated construction.
      • All the rooms must be dimensioned and labeled as to their use. (e.g. bedroom, kitchen, office, etc.)

Flood Protection Form must be submitted with all Zoning and Building Permit applications in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA) and/or floodplain.

Payment Information

RETURNED CHECKS: If your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds, (1) you authorize The City of Philadelphia or its agent to make a one-time electronic fund transfer from your account to collect a fee of $20; and (2) The City of Philadelphia or its agent may re-present your check electronically to your depository institution for payment.