As an employer you may be eligible for state and city programs that provide tax credits, grants and other incentives for businesses that create jobs and/or help people transition back into the workforce. To find out if you qualify for any of these programs, or for additional information, visit the links as shown.
Job Creation and Preservation
- Pennsylvania Job Creation Tax Credit (JCTC) Offers a $1,000 per-job tax credit to approved businesses that agree to create jobs in the Commonwealth within a three-year period. The credit can be applied against various business tax liabilities.Review the Pennsylvania Job Creation Tax Credit Guidelines For more information, contact the PA Department of Community and Economic Development at (866) 466-3972.
- Pennsylvania Funding and Program Finder For additional business funding/grant sources available through the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, use the Funding and Program Finder search tool.
- Philadelphia Job Creation Tax Credit The City of Philadelphia offers eligible business owners a one-time tax credit of up to $3,000 for each new qualified full-time job created in the city. Certain guidelines apply. Read the Overview of the Job Creation Tax Credit, submitted by the City of Philadelphia, Department of Revenue, or call the Department directly at (215) 686-6600 for more information.
- Jump Start Philly Jump Start Philly is designed to attract new businesses and entrepreneurs that create jobs to Philadelphia by exempting them from paying the Business Income and Receipts tax during the first two years of operations. To qualify, the business must be a “New Business” and meet job growth requirements. Go to Jump Start Philly page.
- Empowerment Zones: Empowerment Zones (EZ) were created by the federal government to revitalize deeply distressed urban neighborhoods. This initiative targeted three neighborhoods in Philadelphia – American Street, North Central and West Philadelphia – for intensive social, economic, physical, commercial and social revitalization activities. While many federal benefits for locating in these zones will expire at end of 2016, businesses can still take advantage of lending opportunities. For additional information call 215-683-2000.
Workers with Barriers to Employment
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit Promotes the hiring of workers with barriers to employment, targeting short-term welfare cash recipients, veterans, SSI recipients and ex-offenders. This credit is 40% of the first $6,000 in wages.Learn more about the Work Opportunity Tax Credit.
- Welfare to Work Credit Promotes the hiring of workers with barriers to employment, targeting long-term welfare cash recipients. Tax credits of up to $8,500 per hire are available. Learn more about the Welfare to Work Credit.
- Philadelphia Re-Entry Employment Program Established by the City of Philadelphia for the purpose of securing job-creating economic development opportunities for ex-offenders. An employer can claim a PREP tax credit against their Business Privilege Tax of up to $10,000 each year for three years for each ex-offender hired for at least six months, to a total of $30,000. Download an Application