An operational permit is required to operate an air-supported temporary membrane structure or a tent having an area in excess of 200 sq. ft. or a canopy in excess of 400 sq. ft. (See Section 105.6.13 of the Philadelphia Fire Code for exceptions).
Prerequisite Approvals: Before obtaining an operations permit, your project may need to receive approvals from various city departments if your project meets the listed condition.
- Encroachments on the public way, contact the Streets Department (Room 940 – 1401 John F. Kennedy Blvd., 215.686.5503)
- Tents located on Fairmount Park property, contact the Department of Parks and Recreation (790 City Hall, 15-686-4524)
Construction Documents: Applicants must provide a detailed site and floor plan for tents or membrane structures with an occupant load of 50 or more. The floor plan shall indicate the following details (F-2403.6):
- Means of Egress of the Facility
- Seating Capacity
- Arrangement of the seating and locations
- Type of heating and electrical equipment
Flame Spread Documentation for the structure: A certificate certifying that the tents, membrane structure, and their appurtenances meet the flame propagations performance criteria of NFPA 701 (F-2404.2)
License Requirements: Tent installer must possess a Philadelphia Commercial Activity License.
See Section 220.127.116.11 for additional requirements for tents accessory to Group A-2 nightclub occupancies.
Processing Time: Walk-ins are processed on the same day; mail-ins are processed within 7 business days.
Permit Fee: $ 100/ tent; $200 for set-ups occurring on weekends or after 4 p.m.